Monday, November 16, 2009

We are Part Monster!

"Your memory is a monster; you forget - it doesn't. It simply files things away. It keeps things for you, or hides things from you - and summons them to your recall with a will of its own. You think you have a memory; but it has you!"
~John Irving
It is sometimes hard to come up with something to write about own my own; however it has taught me to become interested in finding things out for myself. This quote, for example, I found by googling "monster quotes." It is something I have never thought of before, but it is so true. The human mind is such an incredible thing. It stores so much information that we don't even know we are retaining. In my human development class we learned about human cognitive development. I learned that once we know how to do something, like riding a bike, we never forget it. Sometimes we can't find it where we stored it in our brains, but it is there. This quote makes me think of all those times that I'm standing around randomly and I suddenly remember a dream I had or a past memory. This happens even when we aren't trying to remember things. In this way, our mind is in control. We don't try to remember somethings, but the littlest thing makes memories rush back. I find it funny and ironic because when we aren't trying to remember things we do but when it comes to a test...God forbid our memory works on it's own then.
WORD COUNT: 258

1 comment:

  1. This quote is so true. It is crazy how you cannot even remember something and you see or hear something which reminds you of something else and just digs up memories you have not thought of in a long time. Your mind just has so many links randomly and the craziest things are linked to some more crazy things. Last night I was lying in bed and like most people I tend to do a lot of thinking at night when I am trying so hard not to and trying to go to sleep. I remember I was thinking about how I should have studied more for the exam I have today then out of nowhere from that thought I started thinking about this girl that use to live across the street from me when I was a little girl. I do not know what pieced the two things together but there I was a whole different thought then what I started out on. My memory definitely does have mind of its own. (173)

    ReplyDelete